Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Friend

Well, we all have friends. Some of us have many friends. I have many people that I call friend that are more than aquaintances, but not quite true friend. You know what I mean. People that you talk to when you see them, but do not call on the phone to see how they are doing and visa versa. People that you don't think about too often during your time away from them.





Then there are true friends. Friends that you can talk to anytime. Friends that call you to find out how you are. Friends that you think about and call to see how they are. Friends that you can call on when you need help no matter how big or small.



See, this is Michele. We have been friends for a few years, but I feel I've known her my whole life. She is the kind of friend that you can go for weeks without talking and then just talk like you haven't lost a beat. I think about her and pray for her all the time, but do not have to get stressed about calling her because when I get around to it, she is never mad at me for not calling sooner. I love her dearly.

What, you may ask, brought this on? Well, it started out to be a nice Christmas morning. Then I went to make the cheesey potatoes that my mom wanted done. See, I thought I had enough potatoes until I realized that the two batches of potato bread to make cinnamon rolls had depleated much of my stock. I just knew my mom would want to kill me.(not really, but I trust you know what I mean). So, I thought forever about what to do. Then it hit me. MICHELE. She may have potatoes and if she can at all help me she will. I think she likes me enough that she would not want me dead!!

Sure enough. Michele had 7 potatoes at the ready to save my life. After confessing to my mother and reassuring her that I had a back up plan, my mom did end up having just enough potatoes for me to make that batch of cheesey goodness.

It is nice to know what kind of friends you have. The kind of friend you can ask to borrow that cup of sugar, or to pray you through some trial in your life. Michele is one of those gems that I am so glad God brought my way. Not just for the potatoes, of course, but the dear friendship that she has so blessed my life with. The friendship that you can depend on and count on.

So, what kind of friends do you have. Any gems like mine?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yes, I have some friends like that - the ones that'll take my kids in an emergency, the ones that'll talk me off the roof, the ones that'll lend me whatever they have.... They're a blessing! I also have some fun-loving friends who love to get together and DO stuff. Some of these friends are the same people, some of them aren't. I've had conversations recently about this - is it ok to compartmentalize your friendships? I think it is, as long as it isn't for the purpose of using people or shutting people out. The people I scrapbook with aren't necessarily the same people that want to discuss classic books, kwim? (Although a lot of them are! lol)

Brandi, you can call me for potatoes anytime. :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay Brandi...your check's in the mail!

Thank you for the very nice post....although you've given me more then you'll ever know. Well, I think you know what I mean- it is an amazing-unconditional friendship we have, isn't it?

Let's see...what kind of friends do I have? Really, not too many. In fact, I think I'll go blog about it..... thanks for the idea!

Your forever friend, Michele

~jenna said...

so sweet! aren't true friends just the blessing you need, a treat from God!!